Kenyan teachers’ unions Play an important role in the teaching profession. As a result, it is critical for a teacher to be a member of at least one Union.
In this article, I will show you how to easily join one of the unions of your choice. In Kenya, three unions represent interests of teachers: KNUT, KUPPET, and KEWOTA.
Kenya National Union of Teachers-KNUT
KNUT was officially registered as A Trade Union On 14th May 1959. Since then the odest teachers’ union has been serving and representing the interest of teachers in Kenya. It draws most of its members from Primary teachers.
KNUT Website and CONTACTS
254(0) 20 2220387,340301,22223509,22223849
254(0) 20 2222701
0710 600981, 0710, 600983, 0733 600880
Kenya Union of Post Primary Education Teachers-KUPPET
KUPPET which draws most of its members from secondary school is undeniably the second oldest union that has over the years successfully represented interests of teachers.
Kenya Women Teachers Association-KEWOTA
The Kenya Women Teachers Association(KEWOTA) is a vibrant welfare society and community for female teachers in Kenya. This is the youngest teachers’ union Kenya. Its more unique since it only represent the interest of one gender.
The association deaws its members from female teachers employed by the TSC, privately employed female teachers, ECDE female teachers, SNE female teachers and other women in the education sector.
KEWOTA Website and Contacts
PHONE: +254 786 486 681
OFFICE: 5th floor, Nextgen mall.
P.O bx 40166-00100, Nairobi, Kenya.
How to join TEACHERS’ UNION ONLINE THROUGH THE T-PAY ONLINE REGISTRATION SYSTEM FACILITY.
- Log in TSC ONLINE PAYSLIP using this link https://payslip.tsc.go.ke/login.php. Enter your tsc number and pasword.
- Once you are logged in go to “3RD PARTIES”.
- Click on “CLICK HERE TO SEND YOUR PAYSLIP“.
- When The menu Box Opens, Click on the *Select Category.* You will find the following Categories:
- Hire purchase
- Click on SWA
- On Select The Company: Click On the union that you want join KNUT,KUPPET or KEWOTA.
- *Once You are Sure* CLICK The Send Payslip and it is done.
- You will see a pop-up message in GREEN: You have successfully sent your latest payslip to Kenya Women Teachers Association.
- When done, log out of the portal so as not expose you tsc portal to online fraudsters.
Role of union of Teachers
- To bring together and unite teachers of all grades and qualifications in Kenya and providing a forum for co-operation.
- To fight for improved terms and conditions of service for teachers and protecting teachers interests.
- Promoting programmes aimed at improving teachers’ welfare or socio-economic status.
- To offer assistance to individual members in professional as well as legal matters.
- To settle disputes between members of the union or between its members and their employers through collective and constitutional means.
- To co-operate with other societies, bodies, unions or organisations within or outside Kenya with similar objectives.
- To promote matters leading to the improvement of education and the establishment of a common system of education.
- To secure effective representation of the teaching profession on the government, public and private bodies or organizations where such representation may be necessary.