TEACHERS SERVICE COMMISSION
TEACHER REGISTRATION AND RECRUITMENT
REQUIREMENTS REGISTRATION OF TEACHERS
The Teachers Service Commission (TSC) is mandated by the Constitution of Kenya
(2010), Article 237 to among others;
- Register qualified persons as teachers and
- Review the standards of education and training of persons entering the teaching service.
The TSC Act (2012) Section 23 (2) prohibits any person from engaging in teaching service unless one is registered as a teacher. The TSC Code of Regulations for Teachers (2015) Part III further provides Conditions and Procedure for Registration of Teachers.
Teacher Registration Process
The Commission has provided an online platform for application and registration of teachers. Once an applicant is sure that he/she has all the required documents, they can visit the TSC website – www.teachersonline.go.ke and begin the application process.
Upon the receipt of the application, the Commission vets the documents and the applicant is given response / decision within 30 (thirty days). If the application is successful, the applicant is issued with a Registration Certificate which bears the
Commission’s Chief Executive Officer’s signature. The Certificate is then immediately posted to the teacher through the postal address indicated in the application. Also applicants can access their registration status and/or TSC Number online on TSC website.
REQUIREMENTS FOR REGISTRATION AS A TEACHER
1.0. Kenyan Citizens.
1.1. Certificate of Good Conduct
1.2. relevant academic and professional certificates from recognized institutions
1.3. a copy of Identity Card or Passport
1.4. passport photo
1.5. KRA Pin Certificate
1.6. dully filled GP 69 Medical Form and
1.7. Payment of registration fee;
|Non-refundable fee of Kshs. 1055/- Deposit is made to the TSC;|
|National Bank of Kenya|
|or Simple Banking using Pay Bill Business Number 625625|
2.0. Non Kenyan Citizens
2.1. academic and Professional Certificates and other evidence for registration as a teacher obtained in Kenya or the country of origin
2.2. Academic and Professional Certificates. NB: Must have been awarded by an accredited foreign institution and equated by the relevant public body in Kenya
2.3. Certificate of Registration as a teacher or authority to teach in the country of origin
2.4. a valid Entry / Work Permit issued by the Department of Immigration
2.5. a valid Certificate of Good Conduct issued by the relevant law enforcement agency in the country of origin
2.6. vetting letter from the Ministry of Education (Kenya) and
2.7. prescribed fee of Kshs. 1055
NB: All documents must be certified by either a TSC Director or TSC Sub – County Director.
Current TSC Minimum Academic and Professional Requirements
i. Minimum of CPE/KCPE plus ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
ii. Minimum mean grade D+(plus) at KCSE and ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
iii. Minimum mean grade D (plain) at KCSE, KNEC proficiency certificate, ECDE Certificate from KNEC Diploma.
i. Mean grade C Plain at KCSE and ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
|ii.||Mean grade C+ (plus) and above for University Diploma.|
Mean grade C+ and above
|b||PTE||i.||Minimum grade C Plain in KCSE and above.|
|ii.||PTE Certificate from KNEC.|
|iii.||Mean grade of C-(minus) for visually and hearing impaired persons|
|c||Diploma in Education||i.||Minimum grade C Plus in KCSE and above and C+ (plus) in the two subjects specialization|
|ii.||Minimum grade C Plain in KCSE and above.|
|iii.||At least C plain in English|
|iv.||C (plain) in Mathematics for Science based courses|
|v.||D+( plus) in Mathematics in non-science based courses|
Education for Visually and hearing impaired
ii. iii. iv.
|Minimum grade C Plain in KCSE and above.
At least C minus in English
C (minus) in Mathematics for Science based courses
D( plain) in Mathematics in non-science based courses
|e||Bachelor of Education||i.||Minimum mean grade C+ (plus) and above or its equivalent.|
|ii.||C+ (plus) in two subjects of specialization|
|f||Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science||i. ii.||Minimum grade C Plus in KCSE and above and C+ (plus) in the two subjects specialization.
Post graduate diploma in Education (PGDE).
TEMPORARY TEACHER REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE
The TSC Code of Regulations (2015), Regulation 27 mandates the Commissions to issue a Temporary Teacher Registration Certificate to a person who;
- is in Kenya on recognized education exchange programmes or other international bilateral arrangements or
- not having trained as a teacher but holds a relevant certificate issued to him/her under any law relating to education and training.
REFUSAL TO REGISTER
Section 27 of TSC Act 2012 mandates the Commission not register a person as a teacher who;
- does not possess the prescribed qualifications, ii.is not of good moral character,
- has been convicted of a sexual offence or an offence committed against a learner,
- has been convicted of a criminal offence which in the opinion of the
- Commission, renders the person unfit to be teacher,
- is engaged in any activities which in the opinion of the Commission, are prejudicial to peace, good order or good government in Kenya,
- Suffers from such physical or mental infirmity which in the opinion of a registered medical practitioner renders the person incapable of performing the duties of a teacher.
REVOCATION / RECALL OF CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION
The Commission is mandated by the TSC Code of Regulations for Teachers (2015), regulation 30 to after a due process revoke and recall a Certificate of Registration that was obtained through;
- a result of mistake or
- other unlawful means
REMOVAL OF THE NAME FROM THE REGSTER
The Commission is mandated by the TSC Act (2012), Regulation 30 to after due process remove from the register the name of a person who;
- has died,
- the Commission is satisfied has obtained registration through fraudulent means,
- has been convicted of a sexual offence or an offence against a pupil or a student,
- has been convicted of a criminal offence which in the opinion of the
- Commission renders the person unfit to be a teacher,
- the Commission has directed removal from the register as a result of disciplinary proceedings instituted or
- Suffers from physical or mental illness or infirmity which renders the person incapable of performing the duties as a teacher.
PUBLICATION OF NAMES
The TSC Code of Regulation for Teachers (2015), Regulation 31 mandates the
Commission to annually publish in the Kenya Gazette and in the Commission’s
Website names and particulars of the persons who have been;
- duly registered as teachers
- removed from the Register of Teachers
REINSTATEMENT TO THE REGISTER
Where a person has been removed from the register, the Commission may either on its own motion or on the application of the concerned person observe due process and direct either – ;
- the removal from the register be confirmed or
- the name of the teacher be restored to the register.
ISSUANCE OF A DUPLICATE CERTIFICATE
The Commission is mandated by the TSC Code of Regulations (2015), Regulation 32 to on application issue a Duplicate Certificate of Registration to a person whose
Certificate of Registration is either;
- destroyed or
NB: The Commission has provided an online platform for application of Duplicate Registration Certificate.
Duplicate Certificate costs a non-refundable fee of Kshs. 2055/, which is deposited to the TSC Registration Account National Bank of Kenya Direct Banking to A/C No. 01001005707400.
OFFENCES RELATING TO TEACHER REGISTRATION
The TSC Code of Regulations 2015, Regulation 39 spells out that any person who;
- falsely or fraudulently holds himself / herself as a registered teacher,
- Not being a registered teacher and teaches or assists in teaching in any school,
- causes, permits, or employs to teach in any school a person who is not registered,
- defaces, amends or erases any entry in the Certificate of Registration,
- Applies for employment as a teacher in any name other than the full name as entered in the Register of Teachers,
- has been removed from the Register of Teachers but continues to teach or
- having been removed from the Register of Teachers and continues to hold and use the Certificate of Registration for teaching or for any other purpose, commits an offence and is liable on conviction a fine not exceeding one hundred thousand shillings or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding twelve months or both.
CORRECTION OF REGISTER OF TEACHERS
The TSC Act 2012, Regulation 29 mandates the Commission to from time to time make alterations to the Register as are necessary to correct any error in the particulars entered in the Register.
CUSTODY OF REGISTER OF TEACHERS
TSC Act (2012) and TSC Code of Regulations for Teachers (2015) mandates the Commission to keep the Register of Teachers. The Commission has registered more than 900,000 teachers since 1967.
TEACHER REGISTRATION INQUIRIES
For any inquiries on Teacher Registration the applicants or the public can Call 0202892351 or send an e-mail to; email@example.com.
TSC RECRUITMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR TEACHERS IN KENYA 2023
Pursuant Article 237 (2) b and c, of the Constitution of Kenya the Teachers Service Commission is mandated to recruit and employ registered teachers; and assign such teachers for service in any public school or institution.
Teacher recruitment is done in accordance with the recruitment guideline issued by the Commission from time to time. The commission advertises the available vacancies and interested candidates submit the application forms to the County/Institutions where they would wish to be considered for employment. Shortlisted candidates are invited to appear before a recruitment panel.
To be employed by the Commission one must meet the following requirements;
- Must be a Kenyan citizen
- Must be 45 years of age and below
- Must be registered as a teacher as stipulated in Section 23 of the Teachers Service Commission Act 2012.
NB: Those registered but do not possess Certificates of Registration must attach a copy of online printout of TSC Number and original bank payin slip for teacher registration.
- Original Professional and Academic Certificates which may include;
- CPE/KCPE Certificate
- KCE/KCSE Certificate
- PTE Certificate
- Diploma Certificate
- Degree Certificate
- School Leaving Certificates
NB: Candidates without academic and professional certificates must show evidence of having applied for confirmation from KNEC and it is the onus of the concerned teacher to follow-up with KNEC within 14 days.
Graduate Teachers Applicants must have:
- a minimum mean-grade of C+ (plus) at KCSE and C+ (plus) in each of the two teaching subjects or, a minimum of two (2) principles and one (1) subsidiary pass at ‘A’ Level. ii. In addition, they must have:
- A Bachelor of Education Degree with two (2) teaching subjects.
- A Bachelor of Science or Arts Degree plus a Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) with two teaching subjects.
- Bachelor of Science with Education and Bachelor of Arts with Education with two teaching subjects.
NB: Bachelor of Education holders with C Plain mean grade and C Plain in the two teaching subjects at KCSE and have undertaken a diploma or A-Level also qualify
Applicants must have:
- a mean grade of C+ (plus) at KCSE or its equivalent and with at least C+ (or Credit Pass) in the two teaching subjects or
- minimum of one (1) principle and two (2) subsidiaries at ‘A’ level or
- In addition, they must have:
- A Diploma in Education from a recognized Teacher Training Institution.
- Diploma Teachers who graduated in 2008 or before with a mean grade of C (plain) and C (plain) in the two teaching subjects qualify for consideration.
- Minimum grade C Plain in KCSE and above.
- PTE Certificate from KNEC.
- Mean grade of C-(minus) for visually and hearing impaired persons.
Special Needs Education:
KSL and Braille is considered as a second teaching subject e.g. Biology/KSL, Geography/Braille Notes:
- Candidates whose training is in subjects that are not in the Kenyan Curriculum don’t qualify for employment irrespective of undertaking a Post Graduate Diploma in education and enhancement.
- Applicants with Economics/Accounting, Social Education, and Ethics can apply for business studies and CRE/IRE vacancies respectively.
- Diploma teachers with English /other subjects qualify for employment as Teacher/Literature teachers.
- All applicants must have studied the two teaching subjects at KCSE except for agriculture, business studies, Home Science, and computer. For those who did not study business studies and computer, one should attain a minimum of a C+ in mathematics in KCSE. For those who did not study agriculture and home science, one should have attained a minimum of C+ in biology at KCSE.
- Graduate teachers should have studied a minimum of 8-course units in each teaching subjects.
- Candidates presenting enhancements certificates/ transcripts from recognized institutions qualify for employment.
- Applicants previously employed under contract and whose were terminated due to inadequate units in teaching subjects and have since obtained enhancement certificates are eligible to apply.
- Applicants working in other government departments who meet the requirements are eligible to apply.
Recruitment and Selection
- Applicants applying for posts in Primary schools must be holders of a P1 certificate.
- Interested candidates should apply to the TSC County Director, in the County where a vacancy has been advertised and submit all relevant academic and professional documents.
- Primary teachers are usually employed through competitive selection interview. During the selection day one should carry the following original documents to sub-county selection panel; o National Identity card.
- CPE/KCPE certificate (including first attempt certificate if one repeated exam). o PTE certificate.
- School/college leaving certificates.
- Candidates without academic and professional certificates must show evidence of having applied for confirmation from KNEC and it is the owners of the concerned teacher to follow up with KNEC within 14 days.
- Successful candidates are deployed to serve in any part of the country.
- Applicants applying for posts in Secondary Schools must be holders of a minimum of Diploma in Education Certificate.
- Interested candidates should apply to the Secretary, Board of Management of the school where a vacancy has been advertised and submit a copy of the application to the TSC County Director.
- Please note that The Teachers Service Commission only deals with TSC County Directors and Boards of Management in this exercise.
Direct application to the Commission will NOT be considered.
For detailed information on available vacancies in sub-counties and schools/institutions applicants are advised to:
- Visit the TSC Website and/or
- Visit the TSC office at the County or Sub-county of their choice.